Thursday, June 12, 2008

Beck's Beer Brewery

Even though I went last Saturday, I still wanted to post the pictures of my trip to the Beck's Braueri in Bremen, Niedersachsen. I made the trip with 5 of my male classmates (though I hate beer, I attended for lack of anything more exciting!) The trip ended up being a lot of fun and very educational!

This is a far away shot of the Beck's Beer Brewery. Beck's is the largest exporter of German Beer and makes up 13% of exported beer world wide! These giant cisterns hold all of the barley that will later become beer! On the other side (though you can't see it) are 12 very large round containers that hold the already brewed beer, allowing it to ferment and acquire it's taste. Our tour guide told us that if one of us wanted to drink one of those containers and had 5 beers a day...it would still take us 1000 years to drink the entire container!

These are some of the guys that I went with. Super Scott, Quattlebaum and Parker.

That's a LOT of kegs...

These are some of the huge mashers that mix up the barley and water. Original mashers were made of copper to withstand the hot temperatures. Today steel (or something) is used but they plate the outsides with copper to maintain the old allure! Silly!

This is our tour guide showing us some of the history of the first beer brewing.
That annoying flash of light? Oh, that's the reflectors on her sweet bright yellow safety vest that we all had to wear. That's right...I got to sport one of those all day long...

After our tour, we were taken into the "test kitchen" where two beers were set before us and we had to taste and then guess which beer was which kind of Beck's. Lucky for me I was at a table of college boys (aka beer connoisseurs!) and they told me which ones were correct. We were the only table to guess all of ours right and won 2 more free rounds! (Needless to say, I had the chilled orange and green lemon)

No comments: