Monday, June 2, 2008

Hamburg Trip!

So we went on a group tour of Hamburg with our Resident Director as our guide. Hamburg is about 30 miles from Lüneburg and it's one of the biggest cities in Germany. It's also it's own city state, with it's own independent government. It was an incredibly hot day, so all the walking really wore us out, but for the most part it was a super enjoyable day. There is so much amazing History here...I love it!!

Here was our schedule for the day:
  • 10:30-11:00 Train Ride to Hamburg
  • 11:00-1:00 Mini Tour of City
  • 1:00-2:00 Lunch (Where I had the grossest hot dog of my life!)
  • 2:00-3:00 Boat ride around the harbor
  • 3:30-5:00 Hamburg History Museum (I was like the only one in my group who liked it!)
  • 5:00-7:00 Dinner at September, a sports bar
  • 7:30-8:00 Train ride home to Lüneburg
Some Pictures:
This fountain was in the courtyard of the Rathaus or City Hall.



















These are both views from the top of St. Nikolaus Tower, a church that was built in the 1300's and has been burnt down 3 times. It was 150 meters tall and for two years was the tallest structure in the world.



This is the outside view of the City Hall!







These are real live people being statues. If you put money in their buckets then move for you! It was crazy!


































Both the below and above pictures are of the smaller part of the Hamburg Harbor (which is the largest in Germany). The fountain in the background stopped running for 3 years because it used too much electricity. But then some concerned (and rich) citizen decided to pay for it themselves!



I took this picture of the statue and fountain. Not until later when looking at my pictures did I notice that the beautiful, Romanesque building in the background...was the most magnificent Burger King I've ever seen!


1 comment:

Alisha Beverly said...

I love those silver people! They look so much like statues its unreal!

I can not believe how cool that Burger King looks! It was actually the first thing I noticed in the picture.